New EditVoicepack version in development

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

New EditVoicepack version in development

Postby Lars » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:38 am

I am currently working on a new version of EditVoicepack. Unfortunately this (I assume) good news also has some bad news associated with it. Yes, the next version of EditVoicepack will be payware.

Back when I originally made EditVoicepack I had plenty of time, more money than I could reasonable spend, and work that involved too little actual programming. Over the years the situation changed (hello mortgage - and a less paying but far more interesting programming job), and as a result I more or less abandoned EditVoicepack besides putting out a quick FSX version a few years ago. Which is a shame, as there are a number of things I would still like to add to EditVoicepack - there just always seemed to be something else to do that would take priority. By having the time I spend on EditVoicepack being a contributor instead of just time lost I can once again make EditVoicepack a priority.

The price is not finalized yet - but will be something that won't make you poor, nor me rich. If you prefer you can of course keep using the existing free versions. They won't have any bug fixes or feature improvements, but if they are good enough for your use and you are not able to or do not want to contribute to further EditVoicepack development then by all means use them. The download of the free versions is now available here - as well as various Flight Simulator websites like flightsim.com obviously.

The first release of the payware version - EditVoicepack XL - will bring:
[*]Support for Prepa3D as well as FSX
[*]An easier to use Wizard interface for users who do not want to create or import their own modifications.
[*]Fixed Windows 8 64 bit support

I have a new feature or two in the research state for the following version - as well as a few of the old EditVoicepack 3 features that I will consider bringing into EditVoicepack XL as well in later releases.

I am aiming for a release in October or November. The new features listed above have been fully implemented but testing still needs to be performed and it is not possible to predict how many issues I'll find and have to fix before I can release.
Lars
FSOnline

Re: New EditVoicepack version in development

Postby KernowUK » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:10 am

This sounds superb, Lars. What's the latest status?
KernowUK
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:24 pm

I have a release candidate. Awaiting some external feedback to hear if it works for anyone but me. So I am expecting anything from next week to the end of the month depending on which issues surface. It could of course be something nasty so it won't be this month, but I don't expect that.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby KernowUK » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:48 am

LOL
I think you have all the bases covered there :)

Looking forward to giving it a try :)
KernowUK
Ny Bruger

Postby the pig » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:23 pm

I have a problem which i thought the new version would clear . It did not. I am running edvoicepack5 with FSX on a fast Windows 8 machine. I have created a new callsign but i cannot see it on the drop down callsign list in freeflight when i go to create a flight. I always enter edivoicepack with admin permission. So any ideas where im going wrong?I did not mind paying for the new licence but i would love to cure this problem?Ian Place :oops:
the pig
Ny Bruger

Postby the pig » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Re my last post i even tried downloading the Callsign from AVSIM imported it into Editvoicepack as per instructions and updated Editvoicepack ALL TO NO AVAIL Still no sign of REDWOOD in my drop down menu on FSX Freeflight---the pig
the pig
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:16 am

I have not been able to reproduce this problem with EditVoicepack 4 or 5.

This is what I do to reproduce it:
1) Create a new callsign (identifier phrase set to TESTxxx where xxx is a number not used before
2) Add a random sound segment to each voice (I do not do any adjustment or try to make a real word as this should not be needed to reproduce this problem)
3) Update the FSX voicepack making sure the checkbox to update airlines.cfg is checked
4) Start FSX and verify TESTxxx is available (at this time I realized using AAAAxxx would have been easier) :)

Can you please confirm if this reproduces the problem on your system? If not please let me know the steps you need to follow in order to see the problem?

Please take a look at airlines.cfg in the root of your Flight Simulator installation. Does it update the last modified date when you run Update Voicepack in EditVoicepack?

If you open the file in notepad and manually add for example "AAA" is it available in the FSX dropdown?
Lars
FSOnline

Postby the pig » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Lars i have identified my problem ive been creating the identifier as VIRGIN AMERICA not as REDWOOD therefore REDWOOD will never appear in the drop down menu on free flight. I have rectified this . My apologies for not reading the tutorial correctly and thanks for all your replies--Ian Place :oops:
the pig
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:15 pm

No problem. The identifier will also be used directly by the speech ATC speech engine to look up the wave files, so it is the key to the entire ATC system.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby Er!k » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:28 am

Hi Lars, do you have an update regarding development?
Er!k
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi Erik.

I have spend quite some time considering if I should write regular updates on what I am doing, but have decided against it. This comes down to one single reason: I can not offer ANY form of reliable time estimates. For example, before Christmas I was working on a relative minor new feature. Everything was going extremely well, and at the start of December I estimated I would be done in a weeks time +/- some days. Then I ran into problems with the file I generated not being processed correctly by FS ATC. I generate 100MB+ of data, and somewhere something was wrong. With debugging access to the ATC engine of FS, this would be a 5 minutes fix. But I do not have that access. So instead, I spend most of my free time for 2 weeks, without getting anywhere closer. After the two weeks, I had to make a call. Keep using time on this, or move to something else for now. It could be fixed in 5 minutes if I was lucky, or it could drag out month after month without any progress. I decided to move to something else - The feature I am working on now is significantly more time consuming to implement (though also more predictable as I have debug access to all parts - but while I can more accurately predict the hours I'll need to spend, the longer timespan means I can't predict how many hours I'll have available to actually work on it).

Things like this happen all the time, and I do not really have a problem with people knowing it. What I do have a problem with is that I do not believe I am able to communicate that features I work on might be postponed without any indication off when (or if) I pick it up again. If I report progress on feature X, some people will expect to have feature X within a reasonable timeframe. This again means some people will decide to buy a license because "I'll get that feature in a month or two". And then they end up disappointed if something goes wrong as it did with the feature I worked with in December.

If someone does not believe it's worth buying a license for EditVoicepack because it is missing a feature they are looking for, I would rather they wait until the feature is present before buying, instead of buying now because they have heard the feature is coming and then be disappointed if the feature is not added anytime soon.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby Er!k » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks for the explanation and respect your point of view. Will keep an eye on the board ;)
Er!k
Ny Bruger

Return to EditVoicepack Support